A man explaning project details to three men - Australia Work and Skilled Visa Options A man explaning project details to three men - Australia Work and Skilled Visa Options


Australia Work and Skilled Visa Options

#workvisa #skilledworkers

In recent years, the world has seen a high demand for Australian visas, especially in underdeveloped countries. Thus they have catered to the need of people who want to work in its rapidly developing economy by offering many types of Australia Work and Skilled Visa Options. These visas are for people who have a particular skill or occupation.


Types of Working and Skilled Visas

Out of many types of Australia Work and Skilled Visa Options, we have chosen the four most frequently used options.

  • Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191)

  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

  • Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (subclass 476)

  • Training visa

Let us look into each of these four types of visas. 


Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa (sub191)

This visa allows those who have lived and worked in Australia's designated regional areas, eligible access to stay and work permanently in Australia. This visa is not currently available. The commencement of this visa is on 16 November 2022.

The cost information is currently unavailable. But it will be available closer to the commencement date of the visa.


Benefits of Permanent Residence Visa

  • Option of both work and study is available anywhere in Australia

  • Can sponsor your eligible family members to come to Australia

  • The option is available to apply for Australian citizenship


Permanent Residence Visa Requirements

  • Have an eligible visa. All applicants must adhere to the conditions of the eligible visa

  • Must have lived three years in a designated regional area and had an adequate income

  • While holding your eligible visa, you must have taxable income at or above a specified income limit for three years

  • You can be in or out of Australia while applying for a visa, but you must clear immigration

  • Visa holders can travel in and outside of Australia for five years. But after that, a resident return visa (RRV) is required to re-enter Australia


Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

This visa allows invited employees, eligible New Zealand citizens, and eligible Hong Kong or British National (Overseas) passport holders who have skills to work in Australia. Hence, this visa has three subtypes which are Point Tested stream, New Zealand stream and Hong Kong stream. The similarity between these three subtypes is that they offer Australian citizenship and the visa cost is AUD 4,115. Moreover, they offer sponsorship of eligible family members. Let us look at what other things these subtypes have to offer.


Points Tested Stream

This visa allows invited employees with the required skills to live and work in Australia permanently.

  • One must be invited. There is no need for a sponsor or nominator
  • The age limit is 45 to apply
  • The applicant's occupation should be the one mentioned on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • Have more than 65 points based on the applicant's EIO
  • Need to undertake skill assessment that is suitable for the job


New Zealand Stream

This visa allows eligible New Zealand citizens who have shown a solid commitment to Australia to live and work permanently in the country.

  • Possess a New Zealand Special Category (subclass 444) visa
  • The visa applicant must have a taxable income at or above a certain income cap for each required income year before lodging an application. He must have spent five years in Australia.


Hong Kong Stream

This visa allows holders of Hong Kong or British National (Overseas) passports who have shown a commitment to Australia about living and working in Australia permanently. They need to meet specific visa and residence requirements.



Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (sub476)

This visa permits fresh engineering graduates to stay in Australia for 18 months to work, study and travel.

The granted stay is up to 18 months. You can’t extend this visa by re-applying. A family inclusion option is available. The cost of this visa starts from AUD 410.



  • Must have an engineering degree from an eligible institution in the last two years
  • Must be outside Australia when the visa is granted
  • Should not have a subclass 476 or 485 visas
  • Age must be under 31
  • Must be proficient in English and should score well on these tests, International English Language Testing System, Occupational English Test, Pearson Test of English Academic, Test of English as a Foreign Language and Cambridge C1 Advanced test.


Training Visa

The training visa is provided to work in Australia and take part in occupational training activities. This, in turn, enhances the field experience and polishes the skills which help in professional development. It is a temporary visa.

It offers a stay of up to 2 years. There is no option to extend this visa. Continuing sponsorship and explanation are required for a new visa. The fee for this visa is AUD 315.



  • Applicants must have a sponsor
  • One should be nominated, except if the commonwealth Government Agency is the sponsor. So, in that case, one must be invited. Nomination is dependent on the training type. To change the sponsor, one must submit a new nomination by oneself. After its approval, you can work for the remaining stay time
  • Age must be 18
  • If applying in Australia, you should have a temporary substantive visa except for a few
  • One must be a genuine temporary entrant.


To access the free information about visas and immigration, simply navigate to the relevant section on our website. You'll find a wide range of articles, guides, and resources to help you understand various visa processes, immigration requirements, and related topics.
Yes, VisaLobby strives to cover visa and immigration information for a wide range of countries across the globe. While we aim to provide comprehensive coverage, please note that the depth and breadth of information may vary for different countries.
Registering as a user on VisaLobby is easy. Simply click on the "Sign up" button on the top right corner of the website and fill in the required information. Once registered, you'll have access to full features on our website.
If you have any further questions, concerns, or feedback, you can reach out to us through the "Help" page on our website. We value user input and are always ready to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
If you need technical assistance or have inquiries about VisaLobby, you can reach our customer support team through the "Help" page on our website. Provide a detailed description of your issue or question, and our team will promptly assist you. We strive to provide excellent customer support and ensure that your experience on VisaLobby is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Yes, you can leave comments on the blog articles without registering. We encourage active participation and discussion among our users, so feel free to share your thoughts, ask questions, or provide feedback in the comments section.
After registering as a user, you can log in to your account and navigate to the blog section. There, you'll find an option to submit your article for review. Our team will review the content, ensuring it aligns with our guidelines and it will be published on the blog.
No, publishing articles on our blog is completely free for registered users. We believe in providing a platform for individuals to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights related to visas and immigration.
Yes, we strive to keep our visa and immigration information up-to-date. Our team regularly monitors and researches changes in visa policies, immigration regulations, and related topics to ensure that the information we provide is accurate and current.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share their personal visa and immigration experiences on VisaLobby. By doing so, you can provide valuable insights, tips, and support to others who may be going through similar situations.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share blog articles or other visa-related information from VisaLobby on social media platforms. By sharing valuable content, you can help spread awareness and assist others who may benefit from the information.
While we encourage users to freely express their opinions and experiences, there are certain guidelines in place to maintain the integrity and quality of the content published on the blog. Content that is offensive, discriminatory, or violates our community guidelines may not be approved for publication.
Yes, you can subscribe to our newsletter or opt-in for email notifications to receive updates on new blog articles, visa-related information, and other relevant updates from VisaLobby. Simply provide your email address and select the subscription option that suits your preferences.
If you come across inappropriate content or behaviour on VisaLobby, we encourage you to report it to our moderation team. Look for the "Report" option associated with the content or user, provide a brief explanation of the issue, and our team will review and take appropriate action.