Holding Study and Work Permits as a Foreign National in Canada

#studentvisa #workpermit

It can be difficult to navigate the Canadian immigration system, particularly when trying to get both a work permit and a study permit at the same time. The essential information you need to know about possessing dual permits as a foreign person in Canada is outlined below.

Eligibility and Application Process

Foreign nationals must fulfil particular eligibility requirements for each permit separately to hold both a work permit and a study permit concurrently. It's critical to persuade immigration officers during the application process that you can successfully balance your obligations to work and study.

Your ability to successfully manage job and study obligations can be demonstrated by including a thorough letter of explanation with your permit applications. Your strategy for organising your time and meeting your obligations for employment and education should be outlined in this letter.

Implications and Considerations

While it is feasible to possess two licences concurrently, it is important to be aware of the ramifications and factors to take into account.

Certain foreign people, for example, would be able to study in Canada without a study permit provided they have a work permission letter or a valid work permit that was issued on or before June 7, 2023. Holding two permits concurrently, however, may affect your eligibility for certain programs, such as the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

Generally speaking, job experience obtained while under a study permit is not eligible to be applied towards the work experience requirements of most programmes leading to Permanent Residence (PR).

Under the Federal Skilled Worker Programme (FSWP), which permits the use of Canadian work experience obtained while in possession of a study permit under certain conditions, there are, nevertheless, some limitations.

After concluding their studies, international students who want to pursue a PGWP must make sure they manage their employment obligations while maintaining their full-time student status. To be eligible for the permit, you must fulfil all requirements of the PGWP programme. 

Seeking Professional Guidance

Considering how difficult it is to get and manage two permits at the same time, consulting an immigration attorney can be helpful. Immigration attorneys help immigrants avoid potential problems in the permit procedure, communicate with government authorities, and precisely complete applications.


What kinds of work permits do foreign students in Canada have access to?

In Canada, foreign students enrolled full-time may apply for open work permits for spouses or common-law partners, co-op work permits for cooperative education placements, and Post-Graduate Work Permits (PGWP) upon completion of studies.

If I have a valid work permit, may I study in Canada without a study permit?

In certain circumstances, foreign persons holding a valid work permit granted on or before June 7, 2023, or a work permission letter, may be able to study in Canada without a study permit.


To access the free information about visas and immigration, simply navigate to the relevant section on our website. You'll find a wide range of articles, guides, and resources to help you understand various visa processes, immigration requirements, and related topics.
Yes, VisaLobby strives to cover visa and immigration information for a wide range of countries across the globe. While we aim to provide comprehensive coverage, please note that the depth and breadth of information may vary for different countries.
Registering as a user on VisaLobby is easy. Simply click on the "Sign up" button on the top right corner of the website and fill in the required information. Once registered, you'll have access to full features on our website.
If you have any further questions, concerns, or feedback, you can reach out to us through the "Help" page on our website. We value user input and are always ready to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
If you need technical assistance or have inquiries about VisaLobby, you can reach our customer support team through the "Help" page on our website. Provide a detailed description of your issue or question, and our team will promptly assist you. We strive to provide excellent customer support and ensure that your experience on VisaLobby is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Yes, you can leave comments on the blog articles without registering. We encourage active participation and discussion among our users, so feel free to share your thoughts, ask questions, or provide feedback in the comments section.
After registering as a user, you can log in to your account and navigate to the blog section. There, you'll find an option to submit your article for review. Our team will review the content, ensuring it aligns with our guidelines and it will be published on the blog.
No, publishing articles on our blog is completely free for registered users. We believe in providing a platform for individuals to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights related to visas and immigration.
Yes, we strive to keep our visa and immigration information up-to-date. Our team regularly monitors and researches changes in visa policies, immigration regulations, and related topics to ensure that the information we provide is accurate and current.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share their personal visa and immigration experiences on VisaLobby. By doing so, you can provide valuable insights, tips, and support to others who may be going through similar situations.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share blog articles or other visa-related information from VisaLobby on social media platforms. By sharing valuable content, you can help spread awareness and assist others who may benefit from the information.
While we encourage users to freely express their opinions and experiences, there are certain guidelines in place to maintain the integrity and quality of the content published on the blog. Content that is offensive, discriminatory, or violates our community guidelines may not be approved for publication.
Yes, you can subscribe to our newsletter or opt-in for email notifications to receive updates on new blog articles, visa-related information, and other relevant updates from VisaLobby. Simply provide your email address and select the subscription option that suits your preferences.
If you come across inappropriate content or behaviour on VisaLobby, we encourage you to report it to our moderation team. Look for the "Report" option associated with the content or user, provide a brief explanation of the issue, and our team will review and take appropriate action.