Flags of Great Britain on Trafalgar Square - Switch Any UK Visa To Student Visa From Inside the UK Flags of Great Britain on Trafalgar Square - Switch Any UK Visa To Student Visa From Inside the UK


Switch Any UK Visa To Student Visa From Inside The UK

United Kingdom

What is Visa Switching?


Visa switching means changing one type of leave to remain in another type of leave to remain under another visa category. Or, you are allowed to switch a visa to a different kind of visa.

As such, in the UK, a holder of a non-expired valid visa who is currently present in the United Kingdom can switch to another kind of visa. Thus, it means that a person does not need to leave the country to change to a different one.



Switch your UK Visa to Student Visa from inside the UK


You have an option to switch your UK visa to Student Visa from inside the United Kingdom. But you cannot change if you have one of the following visas.

  • Parent of a Child Student Visa
  • Short-term Student Visa
  • Visit Visa
  • Domestic Worker in a Private Household Visa
  • Seasonal Worker Visa
  • Leave Outside the Immigration Rules Visa (LOTR)

It is quite common for foreign citizens in the UK to change their visa to a Student Visa. Mostly, it is switched from the following visas.




Check the following requirements for switching your visa to a Student Visa in the UK.

  • You are required to have an unconditional offer of a seat on a course from a recognised educational institution. This institute must have a valid sponsor license. It must be demonstrated by your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
  • You must be able to speak English at CEFR level B1 if you are studying below degree level. Or CEFR level B2, for degree level or above.
  • You are required to provide sufficient funds to support your stay in the country if you were here for less than a year. You must show that you can fund yourself for nine months for courses in London at 1,334 GBP per month. If you're taking it outside London, you can finance it on your own each month at 1,023 GBP.



When to Apply?


Apply before your visa expires and at least six months before receiving your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Your course in university must begin no later than 28 days after the expiration of your existing visa. You may apply three months before your course starts.


Steps to Switch a Visa Within the UK


  • Fill out and submit the application form. Note that In-country visa forms are different.
  • Pay fees. It includes application fees and other costs such as immigration healthcare surcharge etc. 
  • Provide your biometrics, such as pictures and fingerprints. For this purpose, arrange a meeting with the UKVCAS service point.
  • Upload required documents. This documentation includes a passport, letter of endorsement etc.
  • Lastly, show up for your biometric appointment.

After applying, you are free to remain in the UK until a decision is made.


Fees and Duration to Switch to Student Visa in the UK


The fee for getting a Student Visa while being present in the UK is 490 GBP for the Standard application fee. In this case, you will receive your decision in 8 weeks. 

If you want your visa more urgently, pay a Priority application fee of 990 GBP. In this way, you will receive a decision in 5 working days. 

Pay a Super Priority application fee of 1,290 GBP to get a decision within one working day. 

Applicants are also required to pay a 470 GBP per year health surcharge


To access the free information about visas and immigration, simply navigate to the relevant section on our website. You'll find a wide range of articles, guides, and resources to help you understand various visa processes, immigration requirements, and related topics.
Yes, VisaLobby strives to cover visa and immigration information for a wide range of countries across the globe. While we aim to provide comprehensive coverage, please note that the depth and breadth of information may vary for different countries.
Registering as a user on VisaLobby is easy. Simply click on the "Sign up" button on the top right corner of the website and fill in the required information. Once registered, you'll have access to full features on our website.
If you have any further questions, concerns, or feedback, you can reach out to us through the "Help" page on our website. We value user input and are always ready to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
If you need technical assistance or have inquiries about VisaLobby, you can reach our customer support team through the "Help" page on our website. Provide a detailed description of your issue or question, and our team will promptly assist you. We strive to provide excellent customer support and ensure that your experience on VisaLobby is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Yes, you can leave comments on the blog articles without registering. We encourage active participation and discussion among our users, so feel free to share your thoughts, ask questions, or provide feedback in the comments section.
After registering as a user, you can log in to your account and navigate to the blog section. There, you'll find an option to submit your article for review. Our team will review the content, ensuring it aligns with our guidelines and it will be published on the blog.
No, publishing articles on our blog is completely free for registered users. We believe in providing a platform for individuals to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights related to visas and immigration.
Yes, we strive to keep our visa and immigration information up-to-date. Our team regularly monitors and researches changes in visa policies, immigration regulations, and related topics to ensure that the information we provide is accurate and current.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share their personal visa and immigration experiences on VisaLobby. By doing so, you can provide valuable insights, tips, and support to others who may be going through similar situations.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share blog articles or other visa-related information from VisaLobby on social media platforms. By sharing valuable content, you can help spread awareness and assist others who may benefit from the information.
While we encourage users to freely express their opinions and experiences, there are certain guidelines in place to maintain the integrity and quality of the content published on the blog. Content that is offensive, discriminatory, or violates our community guidelines may not be approved for publication.
Yes, you can subscribe to our newsletter or opt-in for email notifications to receive updates on new blog articles, visa-related information, and other relevant updates from VisaLobby. Simply provide your email address and select the subscription option that suits your preferences.
If you come across inappropriate content or behaviour on VisaLobby, we encourage you to report it to our moderation team. Look for the "Report" option associated with the content or user, provide a brief explanation of the issue, and our team will review and take appropriate action.