United Kingdom


Up to 5 years

Student Visa UK


A Study Visa is required for students to obtain an education in the UK. These visa holders are able to live and study in the UK for the duration of their educational program or degree. In case you are 16 or 17 and wish to study at an independent school in the United Kingdom, you may well be eligible for a Child Student Visa.


If you are 16 or older and meet the following criteria, you can apply for Student Visa in the UK: 

  • You have been offered a course place by a licenced student sponsor.
  • Have sufficient money to pay for the course and support yourself. Note that the amount to pay for the course may change which depends on circumstances.
  • Can speak, read, write, and understand English. Also you have parental consent if you're 16 or 17 - you'll need proof of this when you apply.


When applying for a Student Visa, provide the following information: 

You may also be required to provide: 

  • Proof of enough funds to support yourself and pay for the course you applied for - this will differ depending on your situation.
  • If your course and nationality require it, you must have a valid ATAS certificate.
  • Provide proof of parental or legal guardian consent if you are under the age of 18.
  • If you are 18, you must provide proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian. 
  • Your tuberculosis test results are written consent from your financial sponsor for your application if you have gained sponsorship for your living expenses and course fees in the last 12 months.


Apply for a Student Visa online. You need to prove your identity as part of your application process. It is determined by which type of passport you have and where you belong. 

You'll need to provide either:

  • Provide your photograph (biometric information) and fingerprints at the visa application centre.
  • Identity documents need scanning with the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app - you'll also create or sign in to your account of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

When you apply, you'll be given instructions. You can save your form and return to it later once you've started your application. They will contact you if the application is complicated and will take a longer time. 

When to Apply
It depends on whether you're applying from inside the UK or outside.

If you're applying from outside the UK, the earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before starting your course.

If you are inside the UK at the time of applying for a visa, you can apply 3 months before your course starts. Also, apply before the expiration of your current visa. Further, your new course should begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring.

Visa Processing Time
If you apply from the outside of the UK, you'll know about decision on your visa within 3 weeks. And 8 weeks if you apply from inside the UK.

Duration & Fees

The length of your course and the studies you've already completed in the UK will determine how long you can stay. If you are 18 or older and studying at the university level, you can generally remain in the UK for 5 years. If it is less than a degree, you can usually stay in the UK for two years. 

Fees are as follows.  

  • A student visa application from outside the UK - Fee: £348.
  • Prolong or turn to a Student Visa from within the United Kingdom - Fee: £475 

Each person who joins you must pay the visa fee. Also, you need to pay the healthcare surcharge. The length of your visa determines the amount you pay.


You may extend this visa to stay longer and continue your studies or start a new one. It includes if you currently possess a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. 

To extend your visa, do the following: 

  • Be on a Student Visa or a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa in the United Kingdom.
  • Get an offer of a place on the course from a licenced student sponsor - And it is shown by "Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)". 
  • It would be best if you showed that your studies are of a higher academic level than your current course (also called the "academic progress requirement" - some exceptions are there).

In case you have lived in the UK for less than a year and have a valid visa, you'll need to show that you have enough funds to support yourself. To extend their visa, your partner or children must apply separately. They can apply either concurrently with you or before their current visa expires. 

After finishing your course, you can apply for a Graduate Visa, which allows you to stay in the UK for two years.


You may work on a this visa. What work you can do depends on what you're studying. Also, that if you're working in or out of term-time. 

You cannot be self-employed.

If eligible, you can apply to extend your visa.

You may bring your partner and children (who are financially dependent on you).

Was this page useful?

Was this page useful?

Popular Visa


To access the free information about visas and immigration, simply navigate to the relevant section on our website. You'll find a wide range of articles, guides, and resources to help you understand various visa processes, immigration requirements, and related topics.
Yes, VisaLobby strives to cover visa and immigration information for a wide range of countries across the globe. While we aim to provide comprehensive coverage, please note that the depth and breadth of information may vary for different countries.
Registering as a user on VisaLobby is easy. Simply click on the "Sign up" button on the top right corner of the website and fill in the required information. Once registered, you'll have access to full features on our website.
If you have any further questions, concerns, or feedback, you can reach out to us through the "Help" page on our website. We value user input and are always ready to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
If you need technical assistance or have inquiries about VisaLobby, you can reach our customer support team through the "Help" page on our website. Provide a detailed description of your issue or question, and our team will promptly assist you. We strive to provide excellent customer support and ensure that your experience on VisaLobby is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Yes, you can leave comments on the blog articles without registering. We encourage active participation and discussion among our users, so feel free to share your thoughts, ask questions, or provide feedback in the comments section.
After registering as a user, you can log in to your account and navigate to the blog section. There, you'll find an option to submit your article for review. Our team will review the content, ensuring it aligns with our guidelines and it will be published on the blog.
No, publishing articles on our blog is completely free for registered users. We believe in providing a platform for individuals to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights related to visas and immigration.
Yes, we strive to keep our visa and immigration information up-to-date. Our team regularly monitors and researches changes in visa policies, immigration regulations, and related topics to ensure that the information we provide is accurate and current.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share their personal visa and immigration experiences on VisaLobby. By doing so, you can provide valuable insights, tips, and support to others who may be going through similar situations.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share blog articles or other visa-related information from VisaLobby on social media platforms. By sharing valuable content, you can help spread awareness and assist others who may benefit from the information.
While we encourage users to freely express their opinions and experiences, there are certain guidelines in place to maintain the integrity and quality of the content published on the blog. Content that is offensive, discriminatory, or violates our community guidelines may not be approved for publication.
Yes, you can subscribe to our newsletter or opt-in for email notifications to receive updates on new blog articles, visa-related information, and other relevant updates from VisaLobby. Simply provide your email address and select the subscription option that suits your preferences.
If you come across inappropriate content or behaviour on VisaLobby, we encourage you to report it to our moderation team. Look for the "Report" option associated with the content or user, provide a brief explanation of the issue, and our team will review and take appropriate action.