3-5 years

Student Visa (Subclass 500) Australia


Students enrolled in any course under CRICOS in Australia can apply for the Student Visa (Subclass 500). The visa permits international students to stay in Australia for up to 5 years, but not longer than the duration of their study. So you can stay in Australia for the period of the course.

The Student Visa (Sub 500) can be used to study any full-time course eligible under Australian visa criteria. Also, international students may apply for it to pursue any full-time degree they want.

What can you do with a Student Visa (Subclass 500) in Australia?

  • You can apply online from within or outside of Australia.
  • Work up to 40 hours every two weeks once your course begins.
  • Participate in the course of study that is eligible.
  • Include your family members (your partner or you and your partner's dependent child) in your application.


To be eligible, you must:

  • You must be 6 years or older.
  • Get enrolled in a course for study in Australia.
  • Hold "Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)" or fall in one of the exemption categories
  • Prove you have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18.


Apart from the primary documents like passport, recently taken a photograph, and visa application form, you need to fulfil specific requirements.

  • Age - More than 6 years of age.
  • Parental Consent - Needed for students less than 18 years.
  • Academic - Evidence of previous education (if applicable).
  • Financial - Provide proof that you are financially stable.
  • Language - English language is a must.


The application process is online, after which you need to make the payment or else the application will not proceed.

When to Apply
You must apply 30-45 days before travel.

Visa Processing Time
The application process may take approximately 30 to 45 days after paying the fee.

How to Apply
Create ImmiAccount to apply, gather required documents and pay for the visa. Consult a visa expert before applying.


It is a temporary visa to study for up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the duration of stay. Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 will generally only be granted a Student Visa for a maximum of 3 years.

Unless they are exempt, the primary applicant's visa costs 630 AUD. Besides this, every family member applying for a visa must also pay a fee.


To continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new Student Visa. In case if your student visa expires before your graduation you might be eligible for a Visitor Visa (Subclass 600).

After completeing your education, depending upon how long you have been in the country legally, You may be eligible for one of the Work Visa or residence catagories.


The bearer of this visa recieve various benefits. For example, this visa allows family members to accompany the student, and the student may apply for it.

There is no restriction to multi-entry during the visa.

Work along with studies.

Family can also accompany you during the stay.

Was this page useful?

Was this page useful?


To access the free information about visas and immigration, simply navigate to the relevant section on our website. You'll find a wide range of articles, guides, and resources to help you understand various visa processes, immigration requirements, and related topics.
Yes, VisaLobby strives to cover visa and immigration information for a wide range of countries across the globe. While we aim to provide comprehensive coverage, please note that the depth and breadth of information may vary for different countries.
Registering as a user on VisaLobby is easy. Simply click on the "Sign up" button on the top right corner of the website and fill in the required information. Once registered, you'll have access to full features on our website.
If you have any further questions, concerns, or feedback, you can reach out to us through the "Help" page on our website. We value user input and are always ready to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
If you need technical assistance or have inquiries about VisaLobby, you can reach our customer support team through the "Help" page on our website. Provide a detailed description of your issue or question, and our team will promptly assist you. We strive to provide excellent customer support and ensure that your experience on VisaLobby is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Yes, you can leave comments on the blog articles without registering. We encourage active participation and discussion among our users, so feel free to share your thoughts, ask questions, or provide feedback in the comments section.
After registering as a user, you can log in to your account and navigate to the blog section. There, you'll find an option to submit your article for review. Our team will review the content, ensuring it aligns with our guidelines and it will be published on the blog.
No, publishing articles on our blog is completely free for registered users. We believe in providing a platform for individuals to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights related to visas and immigration.
Yes, we strive to keep our visa and immigration information up-to-date. Our team regularly monitors and researches changes in visa policies, immigration regulations, and related topics to ensure that the information we provide is accurate and current.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share their personal visa and immigration experiences on VisaLobby. By doing so, you can provide valuable insights, tips, and support to others who may be going through similar situations.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share blog articles or other visa-related information from VisaLobby on social media platforms. By sharing valuable content, you can help spread awareness and assist others who may benefit from the information.
While we encourage users to freely express their opinions and experiences, there are certain guidelines in place to maintain the integrity and quality of the content published on the blog. Content that is offensive, discriminatory, or violates our community guidelines may not be approved for publication.
Yes, you can subscribe to our newsletter or opt-in for email notifications to receive updates on new blog articles, visa-related information, and other relevant updates from VisaLobby. Simply provide your email address and select the subscription option that suits your preferences.
If you come across inappropriate content or behaviour on VisaLobby, we encourage you to report it to our moderation team. Look for the "Report" option associated with the content or user, provide a brief explanation of the issue, and our team will review and take appropriate action.