A family holding their visas - Bringing your partner to the UK A family holding their visas - Bringing your partner to the UK


Bringing Your Partner to the UK: The Process Explained

United Kingdom
#familyvisa #spouse

It is feasible to bring your spouse to the UK to live with you if you have made your home there, are a citizen of the UK, or have a visa for the country. Your partner's possibilities for a visa will depend on your immigration status.

There can be multiple scenarios for those thinking of relocating their spouse or partner to the UK. In case they are well-settled in the country, they can apply for a spouse visa to bring their partner to the UK. On the contrary, they may go for a dependent or a family visit visa if they do not have indefinite leave to remain.

UK Visa Options for your Partner

It is crucial to know that there is no predetermined "Family Visa" and that you must choose the category that best fits you if you wish to join your partner or a relative to the UK. These categories include family visit visas, dependent visas (children or adults), and spouse visas.

Here we have discussed some of the viable options you may utilize to be with your partner in the UK.

Spouse Visa

A couple exchanging rings in a wedding ceremony - Bringing your partner to the UK

When one partner is a British citizen or ordinary resident with indefinite leave to remain, and the other is non-UK national, married couples who wish to live together and remain in the UK use this visa type. With this kind of UK visa, a non-UK spouse or civil partner is able to enter the country and stay there for around 30 months.

To qualify for a Spouse Visa for the UK, you must fulfil a number of requirements. Make sure you meet all the requirements before submitting an application for this visa category. The following applies to the applicant, the partner who is not an EEA member:

  • You are in a committed relationship with a British citizen or a resident of the UK.
  • You should prove that your relationship is sincere and not just for convenience or fraud.
  • You must have a joint income of at least 18,600 GBP.
  • You must satisfy the language requirements in English.

Visa for Dependent (Children or Adults)

You may bring your spouse, unmarried partner or civil partner to be with you in the UK, provided you have a current UK visa (such as a work, business, or student visa).

Your husband or wife will be permitted to live, work, and study in the UK as a holder of a dependent visa. Typically, UK-dependent visas are issued with the same expiration date as the primary visa holder.

When applying for this kind of visa, you must demonstrate that you have the resources necessary to sustain your entire family on your own without the aid of the government. This can include your anticipated salary, but you must also have enough money saved to cover all living expenses before you receive your first paycheck.

EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit

If a person is a family member of someone in the EEA, the UK, or Northern Ireland, they may enter the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) Family Permit. The EEA includes the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein.

Details regarding the EU Settlement Scheme on a screen - Bringing Your Partner to the UK

Holders of EUSS Family Permits are permitted to work, study, and travel freely within and outside of the UK for up to six months. If EUSS Family Permit holders are qualified to apply through the EU Settlement Scheme for pre-settled status, they may eventually be permitted to stay longer and indefinitely in the UK.

Standard Visitor Visa

You are permitted to go to the UK as a Standard Visitor for leisure, business, education, and other permitted purposes. Your stay in the UK is limited to six months. You might be allowed to request an extension of your stay in specific situations, such as when obtaining medical care.

Family members, such as spouses and civil and unmarried partners, are allowed to go to the UK to see their partner for up to 6 months with the use of a guest visa. Your husband or wife will have access to a variety of other approved activities as a visitor, including the ability to travel and visit friends and family.

Applying for a Visa for your Partner

The process of application may vary depending on the kind of visa you are looking for. However, the process can be generalized into a few steps that are common for almost all visas. These steps are as follows:

  • Submit a thoroughly filled visa application form.
  • Provide the required documents as per the visa you are applying for.
  • Pay the visa fee.
  • Attend the spouse visa interview if required.


You may bring your partner or spouse to the UK if you are already residing in the country. Different visa types are offered depending on various factors including the status of the sponsor. So, the applicants may take various ways to enter and reside in the UK with their partner.


How long does a UK Dependent visa take to obtain?

Suppose you are requesting to settle in the UK as the husband, partner, or family member of someone who holds British citizenship or is already a resident of the country. In that case, you should receive a decision within 24 weeks after attending your appointment at the visa application centre.

Do I need a work visa to bring my family to the UK?

If they qualify, your spouse and children may also apply to join you in the UK or continue living there as your "dependents." They will each have to submit a separate application. If they are granted, their visa will expire on the same day as yours.


To access the free information about visas and immigration, simply navigate to the relevant section on our website. You'll find a wide range of articles, guides, and resources to help you understand various visa processes, immigration requirements, and related topics.
Yes, VisaLobby strives to cover visa and immigration information for a wide range of countries across the globe. While we aim to provide comprehensive coverage, please note that the depth and breadth of information may vary for different countries.
Registering as a user on VisaLobby is easy. Simply click on the "Sign up" button on the top right corner of the website and fill in the required information. Once registered, you'll have access to full features on our website.
If you have any further questions, concerns, or feedback, you can reach out to us through the "Help" page on our website. We value user input and are always ready to assist you with any inquiries you may have.
If you need technical assistance or have inquiries about VisaLobby, you can reach our customer support team through the "Help" page on our website. Provide a detailed description of your issue or question, and our team will promptly assist you. We strive to provide excellent customer support and ensure that your experience on VisaLobby is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Yes, you can leave comments on the blog articles without registering. We encourage active participation and discussion among our users, so feel free to share your thoughts, ask questions, or provide feedback in the comments section.
After registering as a user, you can log in to your account and navigate to the blog section. There, you'll find an option to submit your article for review. Our team will review the content, ensuring it aligns with our guidelines and it will be published on the blog.
No, publishing articles on our blog is completely free for registered users. We believe in providing a platform for individuals to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights related to visas and immigration.
Yes, we strive to keep our visa and immigration information up-to-date. Our team regularly monitors and researches changes in visa policies, immigration regulations, and related topics to ensure that the information we provide is accurate and current.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share their personal visa and immigration experiences on VisaLobby. By doing so, you can provide valuable insights, tips, and support to others who may be going through similar situations.
Absolutely! We encourage users to share blog articles or other visa-related information from VisaLobby on social media platforms. By sharing valuable content, you can help spread awareness and assist others who may benefit from the information.
While we encourage users to freely express their opinions and experiences, there are certain guidelines in place to maintain the integrity and quality of the content published on the blog. Content that is offensive, discriminatory, or violates our community guidelines may not be approved for publication.
Yes, you can subscribe to our newsletter or opt-in for email notifications to receive updates on new blog articles, visa-related information, and other relevant updates from VisaLobby. Simply provide your email address and select the subscription option that suits your preferences.
If you come across inappropriate content or behaviour on VisaLobby, we encourage you to report it to our moderation team. Look for the "Report" option associated with the content or user, provide a brief explanation of the issue, and our team will review and take appropriate action.